22 Aug –
Student fee: $20
1 Dec –
Student fee: $25
01 Mar –
Student fee: $30
Note: Fees listed in US dollars due to submissions now exclusively accepted via Film Freeway.
Discounts: We DO NOT offer waivers. We DO however, offer 20% discount on the fee for alumni of MWF, and for official selections and alumni of our partner festivals: Marseille WebFest, LA WebFest, KWebFest, Roma WebFest, Rio WebFest, WebFest Berlin and WebFest Montreal, as well as to members of the IAWTV. If you are entitled to this discount, please email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to submitting and we will provide you with a discount code.
Student productions can submit at a special student rate, but will only be eligible for the Student showcase and the Student award. Payments must be completed at the time of submission, and submission fees are non-refundable.
See our About page for information about our awards.
- Melbourne WebFest accepts web series from all across the globe.
- Submitters must be 18 years of age or older.
- Entries are only accepted via Film Freeway.
- Submissions MUST be the intellectual property of the submitter(s) and/or their team, or the submitter(s) must have obtained appropriate licensing rights to use any and all content featured in their series — including music. No proxy submissions are accepted.
- The series must have a minimum of two (2) episodes available at the time of submission. The series does not have to be officially released or publicly available, but it must be available for our selection panel to view at the time of submission (password protected links and/or dropbox links are accepted).
- Previous official selections must have produced a minimum of three (3) new episodes to be eligible for consideration.
- Individual episodes must not exceed 20 minutes.
- By submitting to Melbourne WebFest, submitters automatically grant MWF a non-exclusive license to use their material for PR and Marketing of the festival.
- All non-English language works MUST be subtitled.
- Entrants can submit an unlimited number of projects, but each series require individual submission form and payment.
- Submitters will be asked to classify their series in one of the following genres: Animation; Comedy; Drama; and Non-Fiction.
- Student productions have the option of submitting for a heavily reduced fee, noting that these submissions are only eligible for the student award if selected for the festival.
- Official selections, Spotlight selections and student selections, will first be announced at the program launch in May 2018 (date TBA), and via the MWF e-newsletter, social media, and the MWF web site. Submitters will be notified of the outcome via FilmFreeway the day after the program launch.
- Only selected series will be directly notified via email.
- Decisions by Melbourne WebFest are final.
- Melbourne WebFest reserves the right to amend the criteria.
Terms and conditions
- By entering a web series into Melbourne WebFest, the submitter(s) automatically acknowledge that they understand and accept the festival’s guidelines and terms and conditions.
- By entering a web series into Melbourne WebFest, the submitter(s) automatically grant the festival the rights to use the submitted works and any excerpt thereof for promotional purposes.
- By entering Melbourne WebFest, submitter(s) confirm that they hold all appropriate rights to the actors, music, etc. By entering, they release the Melbourne WebFest from any claim and all responsibilities relating to or arising from its use of the series.
- The submitter(s) and their agents agree to indemnify and hold harmless Melbourne WebFest, its board, judges, partners and sponsors from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening web series entered.
- The submitter(s) acknowledge that entering their work and paying the submission fee does not guarantee selection of the work into the Festival. Submitter(s) agree that they are aware that all series received will be judged by a selection panel whose decision is final. They accept this risk; understand that the entry fee is non-refundable, and that withdrawing entries is not permitted.
- The onus is on the submitter to ensure their series is available for viewing by the Melbourne WebFest panel and that the submitted material adheres to the submission criteria and terms and condition.
- Australian and Victorian laws apply.